Entertainment Room Ideas for Your Home
If you love to entertain, chances are you've thought about designing a media room dedicated to parties and fun nights spent with family and friends. While the concept of designating a separate space may seem overwhelming at first, with the right seating, lighting and media room decor, creating your own entertainment hub can be easy.
What's the Difference Between a Media Room and a Theater Room?
When designing a new space for entertaining, consider whether you want a media room or a theater room and think about the differences between the two. Traditionally, a media room is a space that everyone can enjoy together. It's a place where guests talk, mingle, eat food and enjoy the evening's entertainment.
On the other hand, theater rooms are darker and designed to function as a real-life cinema. Guests usually enjoy the movie in relative silence, making it more difficult to engage in conversation.
The Benefits of a Media Room
While both setups have their benefits, media rooms are better options for people who want to entertain and throw parties rather than sitting and enjoying movies in silence. When choosing how to design your home entertainment room, consider some of these other benefits:
- Mobility: A media room makes it easier for guests to move around and chat throughout the night while still enjoying movies and shows together.
- Inclusivity: Instead of having to sit still for several hours at a time, young kids can roam around and play in a media room while parents chat during viewing parties.
- Adaptability: Home theaters are great for watching movies, but media rooms allow you to hold movie nights, host the big game, arrange karaoke sessions and more. With such an adaptable setting, you're ready to party on any occasion.
Must-Have Media Room Furniture
When outfitting your media room, you'll need to arrange tables, seating and storage to suit your family and guests. Do you want a space to entertain large groups of people during big events, or do you envision a cozy TV room to enjoy shows and movies with the family? Whichever you choose, getting the right furniture for your layout is key.
Entertainment Room Essentials
Your TV room plans should include a safe place for all your devices. Sturdy consoles provide spacious tops for big-screen televisions, while larger wall units have shelves, cabinets and cubbies to store various media devices. Here are a few TV room ideas to consider for your space:
- TV Stands: A TV stand delivers big entertainment in a small space. With nooks large enough for gaming systems and media players, along with cord cutouts, you'll have access to all your devices without the clutter. Want to create a warm and inviting atmosphere for your get-togethers? Search for TV console tables with a built-in electric fireplace.
- Wall Units: If you've got plenty of vertical space to work with, a wall unit comes equipped with spacious drawers, cubbies, shelves and cupboards to keep your electronics organized. Look for designs and finishes that coordinate seamlessly with the rest of your entertainment room furniture.
- End Tables: Provide a convenient spot for drinks and appetizers with a set of end tables for your layout. Many models come with convenient drawers to store remotes and controllers, so you always know where to find them on movie or game night.
- Coffee Tables: A coffee table offers houseguests a place to prop up their feet and keep their favorite drink nearby. More spacious than an end table, you can serve trays of food and still have plenty of space for game controllers and beverages. For a coordinated look, opt for a living room table set that includes pieces to place at the front and sides of your sofa or sectional.
Media Room Ideas: Seating
Comfortable seating is essential for any entertainment room, but ask yourself a few questions before you decide on a sofa and chairs. Will you be hosting parties or just entertaining a few friends? How big is your space? Where do you want the focus of the party to be? Once you have the answers to these questions, check out a few of the following choices:
- Sectionals: Sectionals have ample space for you and your guests to sink in, sprawl out and kick back during large get-togethers. To design a layout reminiscent of theater seating, browse for sofas that feature handy cup holders.
- Recliners: Recreate the theater experience in your media room with a couple of recliners, and give guests their own lounge space that adjusts to the perfect viewing angle. Ideal for game day and movie marathons, many chairs come with built-in USB ports for added convenience. Recliners with microfiber upholstery are also easy to clean in case of accidental spills.
- Seating Sets: Looking for a budget-friendly option to outfit the entire room? Seating sets offer a complete, curated look that gives you everything you need for your TV room with one convenient purchase.
TV Room Necessities: Storage
Often overlooked when decorating, the right storage options prevent media rooms from becoming cluttered or overcrowded. If you aren't sure where to begin, our selection includes plenty of chic pieces to keep your space neat, tidy and company-ready.
- Bookcases: Stylish and functional, casual bookcases let you display movies, speakers, and voice-controlled smart devices. Additionally, if you want to host book clubs, these are perfect for showcasing your best-sellers.
- Shelving: Strong, sturdy shelving allows you to store and display your favorite media or movie memorabilia. Some TV consoles offer built-in bookshelves so you can organize everything in one place. For more flexibility, get creative and show off your decor using a layering effect by mounting individual shelves vertically on the wall.
- Storage Benches: Instead of pairing a coffee table with your leather sofa or arm chair, opt for a storage bench. Keep extra blankets stowed away until you need them for cozy binge-watching and use the spacious tops to hold drinks or serve as extra seating during parties.
Entertainment Room Ideas: Lighting
Having several lighting options ensures that you're ready for any occasion. After-dinner drinks call for low ambient light, but you may want to brighten things up for game night. Ultimately, lighting is the key to setting the mood in your entertainment room, so variety is everything.
- Overhead Lighting and Sconces: Save space and keep your home well-lit with a chic chandelier or a set of wall-mounted sconces. Pendant lamps come in a variety of styles, so you can go as glamorous or low-key as you want. Think carefully about the purpose of your media room before you decide on an overhead lamp or opt to mount fixtures in key places throughout the room.
- Floor Lamps: Standing lamps offer versatility and mobility. Place an adjustable floor lamp behind the sofa so you can direct the light exactly where you need it. If you decide to change things up later, you can always move floor lamps to a different outlet.
- Table Lamps: Scatter a set of table lamps around your entertainment room so you can customize your lighting as needed. With multiple table lamps, you can easily dim or brighten your lights to create the ideal mood for your get-together.
- Think Outside of the Box: There are plenty of less traditional lighting options to consider, too. Ideal for small spaces, some corner entertainment stands have built-in fireplaces that cast a warm flickering glow. Other console tables feature LED backlighting to take your viewing party to the next level.
Draw Attention to Your TV Stand with Decor
Accentuate the beauty of your entertainment center with decor. Adding decorative accents around your media room in a variety of colors and styles offers a cohesive, finished look. Whether you prefer strictly stylish pieces or chic yet practical accents, there are several choices to consider:
- Sculptures: Increase the visual interest of a room and showcase your personal tastes with abstract or realistic sculptures for your shelves or end tables.
- Vases: Whether you prefer modern glass or a sleek contemporary metal vessel, there's an accent vase to coordinate with any look. While offering their own decorative touch, vases also let you brighten up your media room with some fresh flowers or faux greenery.
- Area Rugs: Keep floors clean and reduce noise from the TV or sound system with a plush carpet or mat. Available in a range of colors, shapes, sizes and prints, finding the right area rug for your room is a breeze.
- Wall Art: Canvas art and wall hangings bring texture and color to your layout. Hanging unique artwork on your media room walls gives it a finished, polished look.
- Accent Pillows: Throw pillows also dampen sound in your media room. Arrange a few pillows on a couch to create a cozy vibe while guests enjoy the latest blockbuster.
- Ottomans: Whether you need a place to put your feet up, a space for a tray of drinks or an extra seat, an ottoman or pouf is a handy, multipurpose accessory. Many ottomans even feature a built-in storage compartment where you can keep extra throw blankets or pillows.