Outdoor Layouts You'll Love
Creating the ideal layout for your personal slice of the outdoors may be simpler than you think. The right furnishings can help you make the most out of any sized space. Whether you have a sprawling deck, a modest front porch or a narrow balcony, the right arrangement can improve your exterior's functionality and visual appeal.
Here are some suggestions to help you work with the space you have and design your backyard paradise.
Fabulous Front Porch
The right front porch furniture can help you maximize your space and make a great first impression. Even a petite porch can provide a relaxing place to kick back and relax with friends and family. Check out these ideas to create your design:
- Seating : Small porches call for an economical use of the space. Try placing a cozy outdoor loveseat on one end of the porch. You may also want to consider adding a hanging or gliding swing for a soothing spot to sit in the evenings. Toss a few decorative pillows on top for a dash of color.
- Dining Set : While space may be at a premium, you can still dine in style. Consider a three-piece dining set for the perfect location to have intimate meals for two or a quiet after-dinner drink.
- Lighting and Greenery : When choosing your porch furniture, the tiny details make a big difference. In addition to fixtures, explore chic lighting like lanterns and candles for some ambient light. You can also incorporate a few planters with live plants for the finishing touch.
Beautify Your Balcony
Living in an apartment building or similar complex could mean you lack a lawn for lounging. Luckily, you can still create a retreat with the right balcony furniture. Whether you want to take a maximalist approach and fill the space or prefer to stick to the bare essentials, a balcony presents an array of design options.
- Chairs : Though larger seating can cause the area to seem cramped, a couple of well-placed chairs will make all the difference in the world. Consider stackable or foldable models so you can save space between uses.
- Bistro Set : Transform your balcony into a Parisian cafe with a bistro set. This compact balcony furniture is a lovely way to enjoy outdoor meals, even if you have limited space to spare.
- Rugs and Cushions : An easy way to make your balcony feel put-together is to add a colorful outdoor rug. For an extra layer of softness, scatter several oversized cushions for alternative seating that makes your space cozy and welcoming.
When decorating your medium-sized back porch, you have a few options to consider. If you plan to use your patio for dining, entertaining and lounging, then you need to think about how you can fit all of these elements into the area.
One of the simplest ways to achieve this all-purpose space is with a five- or seven-piece dining set. Look for collections that include plush seat cushions and angled backs so that you and your guests can eat, chat or just bask in the sun. You may also want to consider a couple of club chairs and end tables to expand your seating capacity.
On the other hand, perhaps you have a more specific backyard deck idea. If you love gathering to roast marshmallows on chilly nights, consider a fire pit. Do you enjoy cocktails under the stars? A fully-stocked bar cart and bar-height dining set have everything you need to get the party going.
A Deck for All Occasions
Are you one of the lucky ones who has a large backyard to furnish? This is an opportunity to explore the possibilities. You may want to combine any of the above layouts to utilize your space fully, or maybe you want to do something completely different. Try out these spacious backyard deck ideas:
- Open-Air Dining Room : These layouts are optimal for entertaining. For refined alfresco meals, select a dining set that can seat up to eight people. For the final touch, you can dazzle guests at your summer soirees with a sparkling chandelier.
- Cozy Conversation Spot : If relaxing evenings are more your style, equip your backyard with ample seating. A sizable L-shaped sectional gives everybody a comfortable seat and encourages conversations. Place a coffee table in the center of the arrangement to keep beverages near, or heat things up with a fire table.
- Casual and Comfy : For a versatile space that can make anyone feel at ease, set up your deck with furniture that allows for snacking, socializing and breathing the fresh air. A sofa set provides plenty of room for friends to gather, or for you to enjoy a quiet afternoon with a good book.
The Perfect Poolside Patio
You might be fortunate enough to have a backyard that features a fabulous pool or spa, which calls for a few essential pieces. Line the water with chaises for kicking back and catching rays. Another must-have poolside pieces is an adjustable or cantilever umbrella, which you can angle for much-needed shade on the hottest days.
If you have kiddos that will be splashing around, you can arrange your patio to be the ultimate kid-friendly hangout. Your little ones will look forward to settling down at a round table for snack time after a long day of fun. For seating, we recommend durable, water-resistant materials like teak, resin or aluminum for effortless clean-up.
Love Your Layout
There are so many potential layouts you can use to bring your backyard deck ideas to life. Whether you have a vast veranda or a tiny terrace, the right porch furniture enables you to have a stylish, functional and enjoyable outdoor space. Hopefully, you've found some inspiration to design the patio of your dreams.