Bedroom Decorating Ideas
Bedrooms serve as cozy sleep spaces and relaxing spots for personal leisure time. As such, you will need to include both stylish and soothing items to create a beautiful and balanced look. Choosing the right color scheme, furniture, lighting, bedding and decor lets you transform the space into the comfy bedroom retreat of your dreams.
Bedroom Themes and Color Schemes
Lay a beautiful foundation for your bedroom design by selecting a theme and palette first. Picking out the room’s style and colors lets you set the mood and promote a chic and comfortable atmosphere for your space. Different hues and designs in your bedroom can have different effects, so take some time to consider the atmosphere and setting you want for your personal retreat.
Stand-Out and Soothing Bedroom Palettes
Balance is key when it comes to selecting a bedroom color scheme. Soft, subtle shades promote restful sleep. However, using some vibrant colors throughout your ensemble adds a fun flourish that brightens up the room for your favorite relaxing activities.
- Black and White Bedroom: The contrast of black and white decor offers dramatic impact that still feels calm and soothing. Top your black bed frame with ivory linens or offset white walls with black bedroom decor and furniture. While it may be a simple color combo, black and white provide a balanced and elegant bedroom palette.
- Cool Blue Palette: Enhance the soothing atmosphere of your bedroom with various shades of blue. Setting up a blue bed or painting a deep navy accent wall boosts a bedroom’s calming aura. If you want to forgo the paint job, add some blue accent pillows to the bedspread or try bright aqua and teal accent pieces for a tranquil yet refreshing feel.
- Stable Gray Color Scheme: Aside from establishing a calming atmosphere, gray bedding, curtains and other bedroom decor serve as a neutral base to help other colors pop. A gray headboard makes a great background for colorful red, green or orange pillows. You can also use gray accent benches and rugs as contrast against white walls and beige carpet.
- Tranquil Earth-Tone Bedroom: Earthy colors inspire a warm and inviting atmosphere. Rich brown accents and dark wood decor boost the cozy, secure vibe of the room. Topping your bed with emerald green sheets and comforters evokes the refreshing feel of the forest. Consider adding a yellow ottoman or an orange rug if you want some extra warmth and brightness.
- Refreshing Pastel Palette: A pastel color scheme puts a soothing spin on your favorite hues. Decorating with yellow decor adds a soft and innocent touch to a room with a darker lavender accent wall. Pale blue and mint green wall art also bring a calm and colorful look to your room.
Bedroom Design Ideas: Fashionable and Fun Bedroom Themes
Another approach to personalizing your bedroom is to choose a theme. Designing with a motif showcases your unique sense of style and emphasizes the fact that your room is a relaxing hangout as well as a comfy sleep space. Consider the following themes for adding a fashionable flair to your bedroom.
- Cottage and Farmhouse: These themes combine casual and rustic bedroom decor for the ultimate cozy, charming and laid-back aesthetic. Natural light wood pieces and simple accent pillow patterns give the room a homey touch to help you kick back and relax.
- Coastal: If you favor a bright and beachy vibe, a coastal bedroom theme may be just right for you. Decorating with beige rugs and ocean blue bedding can give your bedroom the look of a breezy shoreline. You can also add wall decor depicting conch shells and gorgeous seascapes to turn your room into a tropical vacation spot.
- Traditional Bedrooms: For a timeless look and a dignified feel, consider traditional decor for your room. Your classic set-up could include luxurious king and queen-themed bedroom decor like ornate vintage-style dresser mirrors and a chest of drawers with antique pulls and a rich dark wood or cherry finish. These pieces are perfect for creating an elegant, upscale design.
- Contemporary Bedrooms: Want a more updated look for your room? Deck out your space with contemporary bedroom decor and furniture. From unique headboards and low-profile beds to jewel-embellished dresser mirrors and sleek bedside tables, these pieces provide the latest fashionable features for your chic bedroom layout.
- Transitional Bedrooms: If you have an eclectic sense of style, try transitional bedroom decor for your room. The pillows, mirrors, wall art and other decorative accents in this style have both traditional and modern elements, establishing an atmosphere that is elegant and casual at the same time.
Bedroom Set Ideas: Choosing a Furniture Layout
Once you’ve decided on the colors and theme of your room, it’s time to furnish the space. Sketching out a rough idea of where you would like each piece to go can reduce the challenges of setting up your furniture in a way that looks nice and maximizes your space. These bedroom layout suggestions can help you decide how to set up rooms of varying sizes.
King Bedroom Ideas
A spacious primary bedroom allows you to explore a wide range of potential set-ups. One option is to let your stately canopy or poster bed serve as a dramatic centerpiece and place a set of coordinating nightstands on each side. Your dresser-mirror set can sit across from your bed and, if you have the room, you can add a tiny sitting area with accent chairs and a small table off to the side.
Queen Bedroom Ideas
To outfit an apartment bedroom, guest room or queen-size bedroom, set up your platform bed in the center of the far wall. Angle your chest of drawers into the adjacent corner and set your dresser along the length of the wall, leaving plenty of space to move around each item. You can also consider setting up a vanity table across from the dresser or next to your closet.
Full Bedroom Ideas
Depending on your preferences and available square footage, your full bed can extend into the middle of the room or serve as a corner bed. From there, you can decide whether the dresser looks better next to the bed or across from it. You can also tuck a kid’s desk and chair into the opposite corner to serve as a study space.
Small Bedroom Decorating Ideas
Every bit of floor space counts when you’re outfitting a tiny room. Keep the center of the area as clear as possible by setting your twin bed, daybed or bunk beds horizontally along the room’s width. Opt for a single nightstand or try a tiny ottoman or end table instead. For more vertical storage, choose a small bookcase or tower shelf that can fit into a corner.